Sunday, June 6, 2010

Riding Lessons...

I have mentioned before (here) how much I always thought of horse back riding as "therapy". It was the way that I released stress and also always seemed to be part of the way that I defined myself. Because of that, the past few years without consistent riding opportunities has been really hard for me.



Back at the beginning of the year, I went and watched my cousin Megan take a riding lesson. Megan is much younger and it was so exciting for me to be able to see how much she loved what she was doing! This past weekend, I was having a particularly grumpy day and decided that I needed to take charge of my life and do something for me. So, I decided to schedule a lesson with Megan's teacher! I called her instructor and told her about myself... I have ridden and shown stock seat (western) horses for my whole life but have only been in an English saddle a handful of times. I told her that I probably won't fall off but that I might not be the prettiest picture :)

The funny thing, is that English and Western riding attire is completely different so of course I had to buy some new stuff :) I had to buy pants, boots, and a pair of half chaps. Holly, the instructor, told me that I could just wear my cowboy boots and jeans for the first couple of lessons to make sure that I liked it... but I got a little over anxious and ordered the stuff anyway. The pants that I ordered look like these (don't they look flattering??) and my boots and chaps are black!


I don't think that I'll ever give up my love for stock horses. They are truthfully what I'd rather have, but I do think that it will be great for me in lots of different ways. Mostly because I will get to ride as often as time allows but it will also help me to keep my seat in decent shape.


Be on the look out for pictures :) I'll be sure to have my photographer (Drewby) taking lots for me!

4 comments:

  1. I love riding attire! You will look adorable!! Can't wait to see the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! That will be so much fun...can't wait to hear all about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting! I have to ask if you are taking these lessons in BG? Did you barrel race also? I am wanting to start getting Charli Beth lessons soon. She is pretty demanding about being a "cowgirl" whenever she grows up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These lessons are in Franklin from a lady named Holly Moyer. Her website is http://www.creeksbendfarm.com/ I have never barrel raced, I rode "western pleasure" horses that go around the rail. I'm really excited... like really! I always wanted to be a cowgirl too and honestly that never changes :)

    ReplyDelete