Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Southwest Chicken Skillet

At our house, we call this "Rotel Chicken & Rice" and it is a super easy and quick dinner that Drew and I both love!


1 tablespoon Pure Wesson Vegetable Oil
20 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
2 cans (10 oz each) RoTel Diced in Sauce - Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained
1/2 cup water
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (1 cup = 4 oz)
2 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced, optional
Sour cream, optional

Directions
  • Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes, or until chicken pieces are no longer pink in centers, stirring frequently.
  • Add the rice, tomatoes with their sauce and the water to skillet; stir. Bring to boil; cover skillet with lid. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Fluff rice with fork.
  • Sprinkle with cheese and onions; cover. Cook an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve topped with the sour cream, if desired.
We ate this with chips and salsa but its also great with Refried Beans!  I actually love them, but Drew is not a fan, so if I fixed them I'd be the only one to eat them.  Which is obviously just an invitation to eat the whole can!  HAHA!

2 comments:

  1. That looks really good!

    I'm not selling much there because it just got to be to much of a hassle with school, work and all. But I hope I do good! I went to Duck Duck Goose last year and it was absolutely awful. I just wanted to for warn you (I hope I don't offend you by letting you know my opinion lol). I didn't shop early (because i didn't consign or volunteer) and there was nothing at all there. There is also a consignment sale in Glasgow called 5 Little Monkeys, it starts Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i see you like cheese.

    as do i.

    may have to treat myself to this :)

    ReplyDelete